Cape San Blas Lighthouse
The 98-foot skeletal lighthouse at Cape San Blas, near the town of Port St. Joe, is the fourth Cape San Blas Lighthouse. Built in 1883, it replaced brick towers built in 1849, 1856, and 1857. The lighthouse is comprised of eight cast iron legs that support the “watch room” and lantern at the top of the tower. Although the tower initially stood 1500 feet from the shore, a powerful storm in 1894 left it damaged and standing in water. In 1918 it was moved one quarter mile to where it stands today and the light was lit on January 22, 1919.
Climb 131 stairs.
Cape St. George Light
The Cape St. George Light was reconstructed at the center of St. George Island after its tragic collapse on October 21, 2005. Remnants of the historic structure were salvaged and volunteers cleaned old mortar off more than 22,000 original bricks which were used in the reconstruction. With extensive community support and public and private funding, the lighthouse was completed in November of 2008. The lighthouse was originally built at the west end of what is now Little St. George Island in 1833, and was rebuilt on Cape St. George in 1848 and 1852.
Climb 92 stairs.
Crooked River Lighthouse
The Crooked River Lighthouse, in the town of Carrabelle, was built in 1895 to replace the Dog Island lighthouse that was destroyed in a hurricane in 1873. The lighthouse is a 103-foot cast iron skeletal tower. The lighthouse was decommissioned by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1995. Although the structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Coast Guard planned to surplus the lighthouse and auction it off to the highest bidder. The Carrabelle Lighthouse Association preserved and restored the lighthouse, which is now owned by the City of Carrabelle.
Climb 138 stairs.
St. Marks Lighthouse
The original St. Marks Lighthouse was completed in 1831 and the present tower, located in the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, was built by Winslow Lewis in 1842. Confederate forces attempted to blow up the lighthouse during their retreat in 1865 in order to deny it as a lookout for the Union forces. Though they were unsuccessful in destroying the tower, the damaged inflicted was substantial, necessitating a complete rebuild immediately following the war. At this time the tower was heightened to its present focal plane of 82 feet above sea level, and the original lighting apparatus was restored. The Lighthouse was automated in 1960 and remains today an active aid to navigation for vessels on the Apalachee Bay.
Not open for climbing at this time.
In March of 1823, Congress authorized $6,000 for construction of the Pensacola Lighthouse on a site west of Fort Barrancas. Winslow Lewis was awarded the contract to build the lighthouse, and the tower was lighted on December 20, 1824. By 1850, mariners were finding the light to be too dim and blocked by trees. In 1852, the newly established Lighthouse Board recommended that a “first-class seacoast light” no less than 150 feet tall be built at Pensacola. The 159-foot white masonry tower was built a half mile west of the original lighthouse, and the lamp in the first order Fresnel lens was lighted on New Year’s Day in 1859. After the Civil War, the top portion of the lighthouse was painted black to stand out against a cloudy sky, and the bottom third was left white to be visible against the background of trees.
Climb 177 stairs.