Lighthouse News Line
Granite Lighthouse Marker Completed
|Richard Jones, holding friend Dolly, completed a brick base for the granite Cape St. George Light marker with the help of Jim Kemp and grandson Mark Jones.|
A large piece of granite from one of the window surrounds of the Cape St. George Light has found new life as a marker designating the lighthouse and the four years of its constructions.
Brick mason and SGLA member and volunteer Richard Jones today completed a brick base for the granite stone. He used what we believe to be the oldest of the recovered lighthouse bricks for the base. Called "chocolate chip" bricks by the lighthouse brick cleaners because of the carbon particles in the clay, these bricks are oddly shaped and so were not used in the reconstruction. Fortunately, there were just enough of them to enable Richard to build an elegant base for the granite, which had previously been engraved by Kenny Horah of Southern Sand Designs.
The St. George Lighthouse Association is determined to utilize as many of the recovered pieces of the original lighthouse as possible, either in the reconstruction or for display in the park or museum. Not all of the granite window surrounds were recovered, so only granite lintels were installed in the reconstructed lighthouse, leaving this large piece which made a perfect marker.
The next challenge is to find an appropriate way to display the presrved original lantern room pieces, currently in storage.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Lighthouse Gets a Facelift
- Lighthouse Hosts 100,000th Climber
- Lighthouse Flagpole Dedicated in Memorial Day Ceremony
- SGLA Officers and Directors Elected
- New Glass and Vents for Lantern Room
- 2014 Tour of Homes Raises Funds for Lighthouse
- Flag Pole Installed at Lighthouse Park
- Park Signage Completed
- Buoy Lantern Added to Museum
- More New Signs in Lighthouse Park
- Lighthouse Volunteers Honored at Little St. George
- SGLA and Panhandle Players Produce "Island Light"
- SGLA Holds Annual Meeting
- Plein Air Artists Visit Lighthouse Park
- Lighthouse Chili Supports Fire Department
- New Sign for Lighthouse Park
- 2013 Tour of Homes Is a Huge Success
- CSG Lighthouse on Satellite Media Tour
- SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
- Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!