Lighthouse News Line
Keeper's House Construction Begins
|Pilings for the Keeper's House were set next to the lighthouse.|
Construction of the Lighthouse Keeper's House next to the Cape St. George Light began today. Twelve concrete pilings were driven into the ground at the site in St. George Lighthouse Park.
The structure will be a replica of the original Lighthouse Keeper's house located on Little St. George Island. The smaller of two residences located at the light station, this house ultimately became the Assistant Keeper's residence when a larger home was built for the Keeper.
The house will be a two-story brick structure, with a central staircase and two rooms on each floor. The house is the same design as the Keeper's House at Cape Florida Lighthouse, but because it is new construction, some modifications have to be made. For example, current code requires that the structure be built on pilings, which will be covered by a brick facade. The original house was built at ground level.
Sufficient funds have been raised to get the the construction to the dry-in point, which will take several months. Progress from there depends on future fund-raising, and all contributions are greatly appreciated!
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Lighthouse Chili Supports Fire Department
- New Sign for Lighthouse Park
- 2013 Tour of Homes Is a Huge Success
- CSG Lighthouse on Satellite Media Tour
- SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
- Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!
- A Loving Farewell to Bill Roberts
- HAMs Broadcast Worldwide from Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Museum and Gift Shop Open
- Bill Roberts Honored at Museum Opening
- Young Musicians Donate to Lighthouse
- Independence Day Celebrated on SGI
- Florida Lighthouse Day Celebrated at CSG
- Keeper's House Almost Complete
- Full Moon Climbs at Cape St. George
- Children Visit Lighthouse
- Starting to Look Like a House!
- Raising Support Beams
- Looking Down
- Preparing for Ida