Lighthouse News Line
Independence Day Celebrated on SGI
The SGI July 4th Parade passes by the Cape St. George Light.
Photo by Gail Riegelmayer.
America's independence was celebrated in festive fashion on St. George Island, with the historic Cape St. George Light right in the middle of the action!
Hundreds of revellers in golf carts or in trucks, trailers, and boats outfitted as patriotic floats rode through the island's business district behind a marching contingent from Boy Scout Troop 22/Venture Crew and a Marine Corps Color Guard from Pensacola.
Leading the parade were several of the magnificent fire trucks from the SGI Volunteer Fire Department, purchased over the years with funds raised in the annual Chili Cook-Off event held next to Lighthouse Park.
Prominent in the parade was Uncle Sam himself, played by SGLA Vice President Jim Kemp. SGLA member and U.S. Navy Officer John Ficklen served as Grand Marshall.
Other SGLA members, including Secretary Terry Kemp and Director Richard Saucer, Marty and Dany Ray, Paul and Gail Riegelmayer, and Karen Rudder rode on the SGI Civic Club float. The float was towed by member John Culbertson in his vintage red and white Ford pick-up truck. Credit for creation of the fabulous float, complete with bunting and flags, goes to Cecilia Harris and Richard Saucer, with other Civic Club members joining in to help decorate.
SGLA Treasurer Phyllis Vitale Lewis and husband Jimmy rode in a golf cart decked out for the holiday. Director Bud Hayes and mascot Fletcher rode with the Fire Department's water rescue equipment.
A traditional feature of the parade is a water fight between rolling revellers and street spectators armed with water guns. The cool soaking felt great on the 90+ degree day!
After a hot-dog lunch at Sometimes It's Hotter Seasoning Company, hosted by SGLA Director Joe Bacher and wife Charolette, participants rested up for an evening of fireworks on the beach and music at island eateries.
Happy Birthday, America!
For more photographs of July 4th on St. George Island, please see the Photo Album.
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Lighthouse Chili Supports Fire Department
- New Sign for Lighthouse Park
- 2013 Tour of Homes Is a Huge Success
- CSG Lighthouse on Satellite Media Tour
- SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
- Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!
- A Loving Farewell to Bill Roberts
- HAMs Broadcast Worldwide from Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Museum and Gift Shop Open
- Bill Roberts Honored at Museum Opening
- Young Musicians Donate to Lighthouse
- Independence Day Celebrated on SGI
- Florida Lighthouse Day Celebrated at CSG
- Keeper's House Almost Complete
- Full Moon Climbs at Cape St. George
- Children Visit Lighthouse
- Starting to Look Like a House!
- Raising Support Beams
- Looking Down
- Preparing for Ida