Lighthouse News Line
Archives - May 2012
May 10, 2012
SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
The St. George Lighthouse Association hosted Plein Air Artists and patrons and Apalachicola Chamber of Commerce members at two well-attended receptions in early May.
In what is becoming a tradition for the Forgotten Coast Plein Air Invitational Paint-Out, Lighthouse Park was the venue for a group of Plein Air artists painting scenes of the lighthouse and island beaches. After two hours of painting before small crowds of fascinated onlookers, SGLA treated artists and patrons to beverages and a fabulous hors d'oeuvres selection in the shadow of the historic lighthouse. SGLA member Charolette Bacher of Sometimes It's Hotter Seasoning Company prepared the delightful spread.
"Plein Air" is French for "open air" and refers to artists who paint natural subjects outside of the confines of a studio. Among the artists painting on the island were Natalia Andreeva, who captured on canvas a sailboat in front of the Blue Parrot, and Trish Beckham, whose chosen subject was a small dune sunflower growing near the beach boardwalk.
A highlight of the evening was North Carolina artist Harold Frontz's discussion of the Plein Air technique. His "Plein Air Explained" presentation accompanied a month-long exhibit in the Keeper's House of paintings from previous Forgotten Coast Paint-Outs.
Two days after the Plein Air event, SGLA was again entertaining guests in Lighthouse Park. As a co-sponsor of the Apalachicola Chamber of Commerce's May "Business After Hours" event, SGLA joined the SGI Civic Club and the SGI Business Association as hosts for this popular business networking event.
Posted by Kemp Terry - 05/10/12, 05:56 PM
- Lighthouse Chili Supports Fire Department
- New Sign for Lighthouse Park
- 2013 Tour of Homes Is a Huge Success
- CSG Lighthouse on Satellite Media Tour
- SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
- Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!
- A Loving Farewell to Bill Roberts
- HAMs Broadcast Worldwide from Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Museum and Gift Shop Open
- Bill Roberts Honored at Museum Opening
- Young Musicians Donate to Lighthouse
- Independence Day Celebrated on SGI
- Florida Lighthouse Day Celebrated at CSG
- Keeper's House Almost Complete
- Full Moon Climbs at Cape St. George
- Children Visit Lighthouse
- Starting to Look Like a House!
- Raising Support Beams
- Looking Down
- Preparing for Ida