Lighthouse News Line
Archives - April 2012
April 22, 2012
Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!
About 300 lighthouse enthusiasts from all over the United States converged on the Florida Panhandle on April 21 and 22 to meet the Florida Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge.
In addition to the five historic lighthouses, this year's Challenge was also about the weather. Rain and stormy conditions prolonged the Challenge by causing most of the lighthouses to close for a period of time on Saturday. The addition of Pensacola Lighthouse to the four Forgotten Coast lighthouses that participated in the 2010 Challenge made for a challenging 260-mile drive from St. Marks to Pensacola in two days.
Sunday's weather was drier but very windy and cool. But like the Lighthouse Keepers of old, Challenge participants were a hardy lot who braved even the worst conditions.
They were rewarded with a Challenge tote bag and a unique lenticular bookmark featuring two alternating images at each lighthouse. Participants who completed the Challenge received a special Panhandle Challenge button and a completion certificate from the Florida Lighthouse Association.
Anyone who purchased a Challenge ticket but was not able to visit all five lighthouses because of the weather during the Challenge can present the ticket for a free climb at any of the lighthouses they missed. It's our way of saying thank you for supporting the Florida Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge!
Panama City Meteorologist Chris Smith (center) at Cape St. George with Dennis Barnell, Mauri Smith, and volunteers Caryl Collier and Sue Ollila after the weather finally cleared on Sunday.
Posted by Kemp Terry - 04/22/12, 04:37 PM
- Lighthouse Chili Supports Fire Department
- New Sign for Lighthouse Park
- 2013 Tour of Homes Is a Huge Success
- CSG Lighthouse on Satellite Media Tour
- SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
- Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!
- A Loving Farewell to Bill Roberts
- HAMs Broadcast Worldwide from Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Museum and Gift Shop Open
- Bill Roberts Honored at Museum Opening
- Young Musicians Donate to Lighthouse
- Independence Day Celebrated on SGI
- Florida Lighthouse Day Celebrated at CSG
- Keeper's House Almost Complete
- Full Moon Climbs at Cape St. George
- Children Visit Lighthouse
- Starting to Look Like a House!
- Raising Support Beams
- Looking Down
- Preparing for Ida