Lighthouse News Line
|A header row of vertically laid bricks tops the horizontal rows to strengthen the wall. This photo offers a good view of the original bricks cleaned by our volunteers which are being used on the interior wall. The door to the right and first window to the left have been expertly worked into the structure by our brick masons.|
As construction of the lighthouse continues, observation of the techniques involved in the masonry construction provides fascinating insight into the methods used in 1852 that are still viable in 2008.
The rows of horizontal bricks are tied together periodically with "header rows" which are laid perpendicular in order to tie two rows of bricks together. In addition, the header rows are offset with partial bricks so that the "tying together" concept extends through all four feet of the brick wall width at the base of the lighthouse.
Stop by for a peek at this rare opportunity to view a lighthouse under construction -- but if you visit during work hours, be warned that you need a hard hat and steel-toed boots to enter the job site. You can, however, get a great view of the action from the Visitor Center -- in your visor and flip-flops!
There are no comments for this article at this time.
- Feb 2013
- Mar 2013
- Apr 2013
- May 2013
- Jun 2013
- Jul 2013
- Aug 2013
- Sep 2013
- Oct 2013
- Nov 2013
- Dec 2013
- Park Signage Completed
- Buoy Lantern Added to Museum
- More New Signs in Lighthouse Park
- Lighthouse Volunteers Honored at Little St. George
- SGLA and Panhandle Players Produce "Island Light"
- SGLA Holds Annual Meeting
- Plein Air Artists Visit Lighthouse Park
- Lighthouse Chili Supports Fire Department
- New Sign for Lighthouse Park
- 2013 Tour of Homes Is a Huge Success
- CSG Lighthouse on Satellite Media Tour
- SGLA Hosts Artists and Chamber Members
- Panhandle Lighthouse Challenge a Soggy Success!
- A Loving Farewell to Bill Roberts
- HAMs Broadcast Worldwide from Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Museum and Gift Shop Open
- Bill Roberts Honored at Museum Opening
- Young Musicians Donate to Lighthouse
- Independence Day Celebrated on SGI
- Florida Lighthouse Day Celebrated at CSG